Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review: Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3) by Rachel Hawkins

Synopsis:Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?


Publication Date: March 13, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Source: My own Tower of Books


Review:
I remember when I picked up the first book in this series and I was like, "I don't think I'm going to even like---" *reads entire book in one day* And just like that I was a Hex Hall fan. There's nothing overly complicated. It's just a great story with characters that you like and care about. That sounds simple, but there are a ton of books that lack those 'simple' things.

Sophie, or Mercer as Archer likes to call her (Archer...mmm), hides behind her sarcasm and is hesitant to show how much she cares about the people in her life. Her bumbling non-stop chatter when she's nervous is very endearing. She's one of those book characters you want to be friends with. And this third book is no exception as far as those things go.

Then there's Archer freaking Cross. He's a bad boy with heart and you get to see a lot more of the heart-y part in this book. He's one of my favorite fictional guys :) And I forgot how much I loved Sophie's dad! He pulls off the serious, British deadpan thing so perfectly.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention some other things I liked about Spell Bound. The main thing is that I loved the book, and it doesn't disappoint one bit! As I neared the end I started getting that I-want-to-finish-this-book-to-find-out-what-happens-but-what-if-it's-the-last-one feeling (that's an ode to Sophie there...poorly done, but still). I don't know if/when there will be another book, but it looks like that possibility was left open :)Yays!

No comments: