Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review: The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow by Lorin K. Barber

Synopsis:
Copernicus H. Stringfellow, a.k.a. Nick, is not your run-of-the-mill genius. His mind is so powerful it can stop a speeding automobile or stem internal bleeding. As Nick goes about quietly doing good, he discovers that his powers are greatly enhanced by the nutrients present in Twinkies. Follow Nick on his amazing adventures in this humorous and exciting action-packed book for all ages.

Publication Date: March 13, 2012
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Thanks so much to the Author, Lorin K. Barber, for my review copy!

Review:
The fact that Twinkies are mentioned as an integral part of the plot drew me towards this one like a magnet. From reading the synopsis I was pretty sure it would be a unique story.

I'll start by giving a few examples of the things I really liked about the book. The character of Copernicus is a good place to start :) Copernicus, or Nick, is a fact-spewer. His brain is packed full of useful and inane information that he just can't keep inside. Although he is slightly awkward it doesn't keep him from socializing and interacting with people. He is a very quirky mix of many things. I also thought the way the idea of Twinkies being brain food was done came across just right. It didn't inundate the story by being overused. It was subtly done and not annoying. I also liked the quick chapter breaks. I don't always like that, but it fit with the flow of the book.

I was definitely entertained by The Secret Life, but I think it took me awhile to really GET Nick's character. Midway through it seemed to me that Nick hit his stride.

I really liked the positive message that putting others first and doing good things doesn't make you lesser, it makes you greater. A fun and quirky read :)



To find out more about The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow check it out on Amazon, B&N or Goodreads.

To connect with the Author find him on his Website, Twitter or Goodreads.

No comments: