Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Synopsis:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Review:
Holy crap! This book slayed my soul. But in a good way. The descriptions are so painfully meaningful and poetically written. After finishing it, I am dumbfounded and it is consuming all my thoughts.

The premise is that love is a disease. Lucky for the whole population, a cure was found and can be administered at the age of 18. Lena has gone through life longing for the cure. After she meets Alex (ahhh . . . Alex) she sees the world in a completely new way. She realizes that the cure is really just a shroud of apathy that helps everybody conform to the lifeless world around them. Love breathes new life into her and she can never be the same.

Alex is so sweet and achingly real. I'm kind of in love with him ;-)

I think I might have died a little when I realized I have to wait until March for the next book. Although sometimes the wait makes it even better, right?

Publication Date: February 1, 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Romance
Source: My own tower of books.

4 comments:

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

This is one of my favorite books in the whole world :) I'm soooo excited for Pandemonium! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Great review!

Jen | Book Den said...

Thankfully it won't be too long of a wait until March! I'm looking forward to Pandemonium, too.

Anonymous said...

This one's already on my wishlist. It sounds so interesting, I can't wait to read it!

sarah darlington said...

I think I might be the only person who wasn't crazy about this one. I love Lauren Oliver's writing too. I just didn't want to finish this one after I guessed how it was going to end. :/

Sarah
Confessions of the UnPublished