Friday, October 21, 2011

Adventures in Audiobooks

Well, it's time for me to fess up. Since starting this book blog back in June, I have let a few things around the house go to crap. Mmmm, maybe more than a few. During the day I'm supermom (a really bad, unorganized, not as annoying version) and in the evening I have to portion out some kind of time for my husband. The rest of my night is spent reading or blogging and hopefully sleeping in there somewhere :-)


This schedule hasn't left much room for cleaning or organizing. Since I have three small children running (and screaming and fighting) around my house, it's hard to do much housework during the day. And honestly I'd rather spend it doing stuff with them anyway. So I used to just keep up with any cleaning or laundry after they were all soundly sleeping.


That used to work fine, but now I'm reluctant to give up any reading time to do any boring old housework. Who would rather iron a two foot high pile of laundry instead of read? Uh, not this girl!


Now, I realize I'm late to the whole audiobook thing, but I recently got this little bookmark thing at my library talking about loading audiobooks onto your iPod. And that's when it hit me!! I could do gross, annoying (but totally necessary) housework . . . while listening to somebody read me a book on my iPod! Yes!! Now all my problems are solved, right? :-)

They had a very respectable and current selection of books on my library's website, and the audiobook I picked first was:





Incarceron by Catherine Fisher


It took some getting used to, and I'm not sure if the lady reading the book is annoying, mediocre, or good. I will have to make a final decision once I've listened to some other narrators. Then I'll have something to compare her to. I also felt kind of lost at first without having the actual book in my hands. But I think it will work out nicely!


Does anybody else like audiobooks? When do you listen to them?

3 comments:

Jessi E. said...

YAY! You will love audiobooks... That's such a good idea! I usually listen to them in the car, but if the book is really good I will bring it in the house and play it through the DVD while I fold laundry. Seriously, there are some AMAZING books on audio out there. You should read The Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong on audio... That's what got me hooked. The first one is The Awakening. Absolutely LOVE that narrator! And I love Josh Swanson as a narrator, too. You should listen to Split that way, preferably when the kids aren't awake.

Novels On The Run said...

Hi there,

New follower:D I would like to read this series by Catherine Fisher. I hear Finn is great!

MIchelle

Susan said...

I never listen to audio books - I'm never in the car long enough to really get into a story and, with little kids at home, I don't dare walk around with earbuds on :( - but I love INCARCERON. It's a great book. I'll be interested to see what you think of it!