Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Synopsis:
Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

Review:
After finishing this book I feel like I've been on such a roller coaster ride of emotions. Which is exactly what is happening throughout the story with the main character, Gemma.

The synopsis describes the books perfectly. Here are the facts: girl captured by a guy stalking her since she was 10, taken to an abandoned and isolated location, forced to live with her captor. That information doesn't really scratch the surface of what this book really is. I don't know if I've ever read a book where I have experienced the same ups and downs of the main character. Simply amazing. Riveting.

If someone had told me that I would find myself wishing that Gemma would fall in love with the handsome kidnapper, I would have scoffed. But that is exactly what happened. He may have problems, but he's caring, loving and devoted. All the makings of true love, right? I found myself conflicted and confused about how I could so easily brush aside the bad things that her captor, Ty, did and secretly start rooting for him.

I feel like I just read something important and have been changed in some indefinable way. A one of a kind book, in my opinion, and I can't get it out of my head. I wish I could see this on the Big Screen.

Publication Date: May 4, 2009
Genre: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction
Source: My own tower of books

1 comment:

Jessi E. said...

Wow! I think this was already on my list, but it has now been bumped up!!!